I wrote an article about how terrorists have targeted schools and killed hundreds of children in Beslan. In this article I tried to explain how important it is for us, as police officers, to prepare now to respond to the planned attacks against our children.
I got a few emails that ranged from dismissive disbelief to outright denial, claiming that I was an alarmist. Frankly, I hope they are right. Because if I am right, and everything I have read on the subject from credible sources, such as Lt. Col. Dave Grossman and US-CENTCOM, is even remotely accurate, we will face a horror unlike anything this country could be prepared to deal with.
So, here are a few more facts that you may have heard, but just not pieced together yet. This compilation comes from the article “Imagining the Unimaginable” written by Brad Thor in the October 2007 issue of Fusion magazine.
- 2005 – Al Qaeda documents are intercepted that discuss the merits of attacking soft targets, specifically schools.
- In Afghanistan, U.S. forces capture an Al Qaeda training camp where videos were recovered showing terrorists staging takeovers of schools. The terrorists gave orders in English, violence was extreme, and childrens’ bodies were flung from the roofs for a greater media effect.
- In Iraq, U.S. forces capture blueprints and floorplans to United States schools in Texas, Virginia, New Jersey, California, Oregon, and Pennsylvania.
- February 2006 – The Department of Homeland Security is reported to have started a training program for school bus drivers, in which the drivers would learn to watch for terrorists who were casing the bus routes.
- May 2006 – Two Saudi men board a school bus in Tampa, FL, in a possible “dry run.”
- June 2006 – 17 members of an Islamic terrorist cell are arrested in connection to a mass bombing plot. One of the 17 is a school bus driver.
- August 2006 – Three unidentified middle eastern men entered the United States from Canada and attempted to purchase multiple school buses.
- March 2007 – The Associated Press reported that the FBI sent out a bulletin to law enforcement agencies warning officers that terrorists were attempting to obtain driver’s licenses that would enable them to drive school buses.
- August 2007 – 17 school buses go missing in the Houston, TX area. Authorities state that this is a “homeland security concern.” Note that Texas is one of the states from which school floorplans were found in Iraq.
Look at the mass killings that happened last week in India. Terrorists attacked Mumbai, India and killed more than 180 people. Can you imagine the horror of a similar attack here in the United States? Only instead of targeting hotels and the like, the terrorists targeted schools and our children…
Pay attention to the schools in your beat. Offer suggestions to school and department administrators to improve student safety and increase police training for terrorist response. And should the worst happen, act decisively with overwhelming firepower to drop the bastards and keep them from killing our kids.