President Barack Hussein Obama has been on a spending spree since taking office in January. However, in a stage act to show he is fiscally responsible, he is cutting the survivor benefits for law enforcement officers killed in the line of duty.
The Associated Press is reporting that Obama is nearly cutting in half the amount of funding for the Public Safety Officers’ Death Benefits Program, from $110 million to only $60 million. His reasoning? He administration says “claims are anticipated to decrease.”
Well, crime is on the rise, cops are being laid off and terrorism is a real and growing threat. In fact, the number of police deaths is up 21% for the same period of time from last year, according to the National Law Enforcement Memorial Fund. I guess when you are surrounded by hundreds of armed federal agents, being killed at work seems like a pretty distant thing. However, for those of us out here on the street, this is a real slap in the face.
The Obama administration spent BILLIONS in the recent “stimulus” package, but wants to cut $50 million from the families of dead cops for political posturing. What’s more important that the widows and orphans of police officers? Try these:
- $100 million for the Lead-Based Paint Hazard Control Grant Program
- $200 million to the Leaking Underground Storage Tank Trust Fund Program
- $900 million for the IRS for the “Limitation on Administrative Expenses”
- $600 million to pay for a fuel-efficient federal auto fleet
- $650 million for the Digital Converter Box Program to help the constantly delayed transition from analog television
- Up to $1 billion for “summer activities” for youths as old as 24
- $40 million for the occupational research agenda
- $2.4 billion for carbon-capture demonstrations
I don’t care what your politics are, this is a slimy political move…and a week before we remember those who have fallen during National Police Week.