Lewis Machine & Tool (LMT) has announced their new MARS-L AR-15 at SHOT Show this year. LMT has one of the finest reputations in the AR-15 market. Delivering high quality rifles made with outstanding materials, and outstanding fit and finish, LMT rifles are also tack drivers on the range. The MARS-L AR-15 stands for Modular Ambidextrous Rifle System – Light. Delivering fully ambidextrous controls, the rifle is perfect for professional shooters that have to shoot “off-hand” frequently, and obviously is a great benefit to our left-handed shooters.
The LMT MARS-L rifle actually got its birth by fulfilling a foreign military’s requirement for fully ambidextrous controls. The MARS-L rifle is now the official service rifle of the New Zealand Defense Force. It would seem that the U.S. Military is still teaching soldiers under the old “one size fits all” approach. Even though it is estimated only 10% of the world’s population is left-handed, that is still a significant number.
The MARS-L is fully ambidextrous with the following controls:
- Ambi-safety selector switch
- Ambi-magazine release button
- Ambi-bolt catch/release paddle
- Ambi-charging handle.
Having an ambidextrous bolt-catch allows an operator to control the rifle from a ready position, with the rifle still up and secured in a position to shoot. This should provide a great opportunity to speed up reloads and get back into the fight, while also encouraging the shooter to keep their eyes up and in the fight.
To assist this action even further, the LMT MARS-L AR-15 comes with a factory designed flared magazine well, making magazine insertion easier and more sure.
LMT MARS-L AR-15 Specifications
- Barrel – Chrome-lined 5.56mm
- Twist Rate – 1:7
- Buttstock – SOPMOD
- Sights – Tactical adjustable front and rear
- Magazine – Comes with (1) 30-round magazine (where available)
- (2) Heavy duty push button swivels torque wrench driver
- (3) Rail panels.
- CQB16 MARS-L MSRP – $2347.90.
LMT MARS-L AR-15 configurations:
- Semi-Auto (LS)
- Select-Fire (LA)
- Barrel Lengths – 14.5″, 16″, 18″, and 20″
- Also can be fitted with a CQB upper allowing 10.5″ barrel.
There are (8) quick-detach (QD) sling attachment points on the rifle. Five (5) are located on front rail for maximum options in carrying. One (1) is located on the end plate of the lower receiver for single-point attachments. Two (2) are located on the stock itself providing an outstanding selection of carry options.
Since the MARS-L is a “lightweight” rifle it is designed to fire these smaller calibers:
- .300 Blackout
- .204 Ruger
- 6.8 SPCI.
Finally, the LMT MARS-L incorporates LMT Defense’s monolithic upper receiver providing one of the industry’s straightest and strongest rail systems. The one-piece aluminum forging provides clean lines and avoids mounting issues that can result from a fore grip not attached to the upper receiver.
Latest posts by Aaron (see all)
- Gerber Empower Auto Knives Released - July 8, 2018
- Ameriglo Agent Night Sights Review - July 5, 2018
- Remington’s New 1911 R1 Limited Series Double-Stack - July 2, 2018
- Kershaw Faultline: A New EDC Knife - June 30, 2018
- FBI Report – Civilian Firearms Saving Lives - June 27, 2018