Streamlight was full of new products at SHOT Show again this year. Advancing their highly popular and incredibly effective lights are the new Protac Rail Mount 1 and Rail Mount 2 lights. Streamlight has been one of the most popular law enforcement light sources for years, and these new rail-mounted lights for police long guns are just more examples of the excellent engineering Streamlight is known for.
The Streamlight Rail Mount 1 and Rail Mount 2 lights are specifically designed for long guns, and offer a pressure pad on/off activation system that provides officers the option to temporarily light up, or go full on. Having a weapon mounted light is an incredible advantage during low light engagements, and the new Streamlight Protac lights look to be outstanding.
Streamlight Protac Rail Mount Lights
The Protac Rail Mount 1 Light is a medium output light with a maximum output of 350 lumens using one [easyazon_link identifier=”B000IXCO8K” locale=”US” tag=”bluesheecom-20″]CR123 battery[/easyazon_link]. The light offers a standard tail cap activation button, or an optional pressure switch. With the integral [easyazon_link identifier=”B003F6EMQO” locale=”US” tag=”bluesheecom-20″]M1913 Picatinny rail[/easyazon_link] mount, and hand-twist screw, the Protac Rail Mount 1 easily attaches to a long gun rail with no tools necessary. The Protac Rail Mount 1 also has the option of using one [easyazon_link identifier=”B00009V2QX” locale=”US” tag=”bluesheecom-20″]AA battery[/easyazon_link], but at a cost of only producing 150 maximum lumens.
The Protac Rail Mount 2 Light is a high output light with a maximum output of 650 lumens using two CR123 batteries. Having the same features as the Rail Mount 1 Light, except being a little longer and heavier, the Rail Mount 2 Light really gives an officer’s long gun the reach to identify long distance threats.
Streamlight Protac Rail Mount 1 Specifications
- Material: 6000 series aircraft-grade aluminum, black anodized finish
- Overall Length: 4.25 inches
- Width: 1.20 inches
- Height: 1.50 inches
- Weight: 4.3 ounces (CR123); 4.5 ounces (AA battery)
- Light Source: C4®LED technology
- Power Source: (1) CR123 or (1) AA battery
- CR123 Lumens: 350 (high); 40 (low)
- AA Lumens: 150 (high); 40 (low)
- Maximum Beam Distance: 219 meters (CR123); 141 meters (AA)
- CR123 Run Time: 1 hour 45 minutes (high); 14 hours 30 minutes (low)
- AA Lithium Run Time: 4 hours 30 minutes (high); 14 hours (low)
- AA Alkaline Run Time: 1 hour 30 minutes (high); 8 hours (low)
- Lighting Options: High, Low, Strobe
- TEN-TAP® Programming: High/strobe; high only; low/high
- Remote Pressure Switch: Momentary and constant on
- MSRP: $175.00.
UPDATE: LA Police Gear is offering the Rail Mount 1 for only $99.99, click here.
Streamlight Protac Rail Mount 1 Features
- TIR Technology keeps center of beam tight at distance
- Fixed Picatinny rail grabber with thumbscrew (no tools required)
- Includes remote pressure switch, push-button tail switch, remote retaining clips, double-sided tape and zip ties
- Durable, anodized aluminum construction with impact-resistant tempered glass lens
- Waterproof: IPX7 with Standard button; waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes
- Waterproof: IPX4 rated with Remote Pressure Switch installed
- Operating temperature: -40°F to +120°F
- Limited lifetime Streamlight warranty
- RoHS compliant.
Streamlight Protac Rail Mount 2 Specifications
The Rail Mount 2 Light has all of the same specifications as the Rail Mount 1 Light except for:
- Overall Length: 5.0 inches
- Weight: 5.o ounces (with batteries)
- Power Source: (2) CR123 Lithium batteries (included)
- Lumens: 650 (high); 60 (low)
- Maximum Beam Distance: 297 meters (high); 89 meters (low)
- Run Time High: 1.5 hours unregulated; 2.0 hours to 10%
- Run Time Low: 18 hours unregulated; 21 hours to 10%
- MSRP: $190.00.
UPDATE: LA Police Gear is now offering the Rail Mount 2 for only $109.99, click here.
The BlueSheepDog Crew have found [easyazon_link identifier=”B00BD9NG6M” locale=”US” tag=”bluesheecom-20″]Streamlight flashlights[/easyazon_link], tactical lights, and accessories to be some of the best on the market. We carry them on duty and off, and have no problem endorsing them to our readers. We have not had the chance to give the new Protac Rail Mount Lights a full test review, but I see no reason that these new lights will not live up to Streamlight’s high reputation for quality products. At their relatively low price, I’m seriously looking into owning one or two of these myself. And for just $15 more you know I’m going for the 650 lumens.
Weapon mounted lights should be mandatory on law enforcement long guns, and we also recommend them on officers’ duty pistols. However, any weapon mounted light requires adequate training, in both the classroom and on the range. A weapon mounted light is NOT a flashlight! A weapon mounted light is simply an illumination device for your lethal force weapon. There is a difference!
An officer MUST be justified in pointing their weapon (and weapon mounted light) at something or someone. If those criteria and justifications do not exist, the officer must lower their firearm and use a standard hand-held light. If an officer cannot discipline and educate themselves to know the difference – they should not be allowed to use a weapon mounted light.
From The Streamlight Press Release
EAGLEVILLE, PA, January 29, 2016–Streamlight® Inc., a leading provider of high-performance lighting and weapon light/laser sighting devices, has expanded its ProTac® family with two new gun-mounted tactical lights, the ProTac® Rail Mount 1 and ProTac® Rail Mount 2.
The new, low-profile models both feature rugged, integrated rail clamps that securely attach to rifles, carbines and sub-machine guns with a MIL-STD-1913 (Picatinny) rail. Both lights come with both remote pressure and standard push-button tail switches, and the Rail Mount 1 offers the added convenience of using either one lithium or one easy-to-source AA alkaline battery.
The new lights use a high power C4® LED to deliver blinding white light and a TIR optic that provides a concentrated beam with optimum peripheral illumination. Offering high, low and strobe settings, both lights feature a TEN-TAP® programmable switch that allows user selection of one of three different programs: high/strobe (factory default); high only; or low/high.
“These two lights are the first in our popular ProTac series of tactical lights that are specially engineered to mount to Picatinny rails,” said Streamlight President and Chief Executive Officer Ray Sharrah. “They are ideal for tactical, military, outdoor and other users when conducting maneuvers or search operations, or performing other tasks under low-light conditions. They are both lightweight and compact and offer tremendous value with their many features.”
Both lights mount to a broad range of weapons safely and securely by means of a one-handed snap on and tighten interface that permits users to keep their hands away from the gun muzzle. Each light can be operated with either a multi-function, push-button tactical switch or a dual remote pressure switch with latching push-button. Both switches allow for one-handed operation of the momentary, variable intensity or strobe settings.