Streamlight has recently announced improvements to their Portable Scene Light. Previously the Portable Scene Light was capable of 3600 lumens, but the new improvements have expanded the light capacity to an amazing 5300 lumens. The Streamlight Portable Scene Light provides an impressive amount of light for a variety of law enforcement scene purposes. Unlike other scene lighting systems, the Streamlight Portable Scene Light is relatively light-weight and compact, and can be deployed in less than 30 seconds.
Streamlight produces some of the best hand-held flashlights available on the market. Their flashlights are some of the most trusted products law enforcement officers have to choose from. I have used several Streamlight products in my career and have found each to be very well made, durable, and long-lasting.
Streamlight Portable Scene Light
The Streamlight Portable Scene Light is constructed from high-impact thermoplastic housing, the Portable Scene Light is weatherproof. It features an IP67 design for dust-tight and waterproof operation to 1 one meter for 30 minutes. The Portable Scene Light also is engineered to resist 40 MPH winds continuous in all directions with its head fully extended. The Portable Scene Light light measures 22 inches in length and 6.5 inches in width, and weighs only 25 pounds. It folds-up and packs into a compact size for easy storage.
The Portable Scene Light uses six C4® LEDs and wide-pattern parabolic reflectors to provide two selectable beam widths and three levels of light intensity. These light intensities range from a super-bright flood beam to a low setting with ultra-long run times. The Portable Scene Light comes with a rotating light head on an extendable telescoping pole with an overall height of 72 inches. The light also features a 90 degree swivel neck, enabling users to aim the light beam precisely where it is needed for task lighting purposes. The base of the Portable Scene Light is supported by stabilizing legs that can be quickly deployed and locked providing the light good balance even on uneven surfaces.
When set on High the Portable Scene Light delivers an incredibly bright 5,300 lumens with a 4-hour run time. The High setting provides light over a beam distance of 410 meters. On Medium the light provides 2,500 lumens with a 9-hour run time and a beam distance of 292 meters. On Low, the light provided 1,300 lumens and will run for 18 hours with a beam distance of 215 meters. A selectable diffuser allows users to choose between the two beam widths, which are available with all three lighting modes.
The Portable Scene Light is powered by a zero-maintenance 12 volt, 14.4 Ah sealed lead acid battery that is rechargeable up to 500 times. The light can be charged to 90 percent of its capacity in 10 hours. There are red and green LEDs to provide charge status feedback. The Portable Scene Light will also run indefinitely if plugged into a DC power source with the included remote 10-foot power cord. There is an AC adapter also included. A toggle switch allows users to switch between the battery and power source modes of operation. The cord is built into the extendable pole to avoid snagging.
The Portable Scene Light features a narrow footprint and a telescoping extension pole, allowing the light to be used in a wide range of locations by first responders. The Portable Scene Light is ideal for lighting large-scale scenes, such as serious motor vehicle crash scenes, DUI checkpoints, homicides or other serious crime scenes or barricaded subject calls.
However, the compact design of the Portable Scene Light also makes the incredibly powerful light good for examining small, narrow spaces such as attics, crawl spaces, or utility closets. With it’s incredibly long run times, the light can be used throughout an entire work shift without having to recharge the battery. An added feature from the original Portable Scene Light is the new low battery indicator light.
The Portable Scene Light comes in international safety yellow, with a heavy-duty shoulder carrying strap, AC charger, 12V DC cord and Streamlight’s Limited Lifetime Warranty. The MSRP is $1,149.00.
Streamlight Portable Scene Light Specifications
- Material: High-impact thermoplastic housing
- Lights: (6) C4® LED and wide reflectors produce a uniform flood pattern
- Lighting Options: High, Medium, Low
- High Flood Beam: 5,300 lumens; 410m beam; 4-hour run time
- Medium Beam: 2,500 lumens; 292m beam; 9-hour run time
- Low Beam: 1,300 lumens; 215m beam; 18-hour run time
- Beam Selector: Selectable diffuser settings for two beam widths
- Neck Adjustments: 90° swivel
- Battery: Sealed lead acid batteries, rechargeable up to 500 times
- Battery Charging: Continue charge while operating from AC or DC power source
- AC or DC Run Time: Indefinite
- Carry Method: Integral D-rings allow attachment of the included shoulder strap
- Set-Up: Balanced design for easy setup in less than 30 seconds
- Base Length: 22.0 inches
- Pole Height: Up to 72.0 inches
- Weight: 25.0 pounds
- Light Stabilization: Stabilization legs provide balance on uneven surfaces
- Water/Dust Rating: IP67 rated; dust-tight and waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes
- Wind Rating: Resists 40mph continuous, all direction wind with head fully extended
- Accessories: AC and DC charge cords and shoulder strap
- Assembled in USA
- Limited lifetime warranty
- MSRP: $1,149.00.
My Police Department recently purchased (2) of the Streamlight Portable Scene Lights and have found them to be incredibly useful. So far we have used them on a DUI checkpoint to help illuminate the SFST testing area, and on serious motor vehicle crash scenes. We use a larger, bulkier inflatable balloon lights to illuminate the car checking area. We have also tagged the Portable Scene Light for use during some night races our City hosts; as well as, for our SWAT Team during barricaded subject situations.
The Portable Scene Light folds into a relatively compact package, and the 25.0 pound weight is not overly burdensome when carrying or moving the light.
The construction is very sturdy and durable, and the ability to charge the light with an AC adapter allows us to keep the light fully charged and ready to go at any time. Though our experiences with the Streamlight Portable Scene Light are still rather limited, I can confidently recommend its use to our readers.
Latest posts by Aaron (see all)
- Patrol Car Emergency Lights Can be a Seizure: U.S. v. Gaines (10th Cir., 2019) - April 14, 2019
- Lawrence, Kansas Police Shooting: Taser Lessons Learned - April 3, 2019
- Winchester Releases RANGER ONE LE Ammo! - March 13, 2019
- CRKT Foresight Review - February 11, 2019
- Police FNS-40 Long Slide Pistols Reportedly Accidentally Discharging! - February 9, 2019