One of the new S.O.G. knives for 2016 is the Sideswipe. The S.O.G. Sideswipe folding knife comes with a straight razor edge blade, and a standard tension locking bar action. S.O.G. has developed a well-earned reputation for making serious knives for professional uses. The S.O.G. Sideswipe could be a great companion for the patrolman or detective for the professional needs of law enforcement. Additionally, the Sideswipe is sized just right to be an off-duty every-day-carry (EDC) knife as well.
A good pocket knife is one of the essential “extra” duty gear items that a police officer must have. Nearly every day I am confronted with a task requiring the use of a knife. Duty knives must be compact for easy carry, but large enough to tackle tough jobs. These duty knives also need to be made of quality materials to sustain their durability and blade edge.
The S.O.G. Sideswipe combines the engineering prowess of S.O.G. with the simplicity desired of an EDC knife. The Sideswipe comes with a very nice machined aluminum handle containing GRN inserts to give this knife a soft, rubberized feel and grip. The S.O.G. Assisted Technology (SAT), assisted-opening feature, provides the user a confident opening with minimal input from the thumb stud. This is a particularly good feature in the event the knife needs to be used for self-defense.
The clip point blade with provides great cutting ability for a wide range of uses. There is a reversible pocket clip allowing the user to carry the knife in their personally desired position. The pocket clip is designed for tip up carry.
Made with a quality stainless steel blade, and lightweight aluminum handle, the S.O.G. Sideswipe. There is also a Sideswipe Mini with a 3.0″ blade for an MSRP of $45.00.
S.O.G. Sideswipe Features
- SOG-Assisted Technology (S.A.T.) – assisted opening action
- 7CR15 Stainless steel blade
- Aluminum handle with GRN inserts
- Reversible pocket clip
- Slide lock action
- Clip point blade.
S.O.G. Sideswipe Specifications
- Overall Length: 7.85″
- Handle Length: 4.45″
- Handle Material: Machined aluminum, gray anodized, GRN inserts
- Blade Length: 3.4″
- Blade Material: 7CR15 stainless steel, bead blasted
- Blade Hardness: 55-57 RC
- Blade Thickness: 0.100″
- Blade Style: Clip point, straight edge
- Weight: 3.5 oz.
- Locking Mechanism: Lockback locking bar
- Belt Clip: Reversible low-carry
- MSRP: $51.00.
S.O.G. has produced some incredibly good knives and tools. The Sideswipeappears to be another fine knife with an affordable, working-man’s price tag. Though I have several knives with a serrated blade, a quality plain razor blade can be a very good working knife as well.
Most of the reviews on the Sideswipe have been positive, but there have been a few that have complained of the blade being either too loose in the handle, or too stiff and very hard to get open. Any new knife will need to be worked in, so the problems noted may be attributed to break-in. However, the majority of reviews have been very positive. For the price, the new S.O.G. Sideswipe may be a great choice for a duty knife, or EDC knife.
Latest posts by Aaron (see all)
- Patrol Car Emergency Lights Can be a Seizure: U.S. v. Gaines (10th Cir., 2019) - April 14, 2019
- Lawrence, Kansas Police Shooting: Taser Lessons Learned - April 3, 2019
- Winchester Releases RANGER ONE LE Ammo! - March 13, 2019
- CRKT Foresight Review - February 11, 2019
- Police FNS-40 Long Slide Pistols Reportedly Accidentally Discharging! - February 9, 2019