Olight of Europe has just released their new Valkyrie PL-1 IIpistol-mounted light. The Valkyrie PL-1 II comes with several features to make it a real contender when choosing a weapon mounted light. Designed for Picatinny rail attachment, the Valkyrie PL-1 II has a quick attach and quick detach locking lever for ease of use.
Producing 450 lumens of light in a relatively concentrated beam gives the Valkyrie more than enough intensity to illuminate and blind targets, while not being too bright to cause significant flash back concerns for the user. Plus the light has a very cool name.
Olight Valkyrie PL-1 II Weapon Light
The PL-1 II Valkyrie is the upgraded heavy-duty version of the original PL-1. The weapon light uses (1) CR123A battery for power up to a maximum 450 lumens of output. Light is produced using a single LED bulb designed with the latest high-output light technology. Changing batteries is accomplished by simply unscrewing the flashlight head to access the battery compartment. This can be accomplished with hand torque, and does not require tools or a special insertion procedure to return the light to ready status.
The Valkyrie PL-1 IIcomes with a mount for a MIL-STD-1913 Picatinny, or Glock sized rail, with a compact tool included for easy mounting or change outs. One of the very positive features is the new heavy-duty quick attach and release mounting system. This allows the user to quickly mount or dismount the Valkyrie PL-1 II for desired use, or battery changes. This is particularly important for police work, when making a quick change on a call does not provide an officer time to use a tool.
Olight simplified the PL-1 operation making the light more natural and practical to use in high stress situations. This includes ambidextrous rear push-button controls that are textured for fast tactile reference and positive finger control. Activation can be accomplished with a full forward push of the control, or simply tapping the side of the control. This makes use in high stress situations much more sure and confident.
The light as a series of vent slots on the top of the housing over the bulb, ensuring that excess heat can disperse and not stay focused on the light body itself. Though specifically shown with use for Glock pistols, the Valkyrie PL-1 II weapon light will fit any standard Picatinny rail making this weapon light a viable option for many modern pistols, rifles or shotguns. Made of high quality materials, and at a price in the middle of the market, the Valkyrie PL-1 II has a lot of potential. All Olight products meet ANSI/NEMA FL1-2009 standards.
Valkyrie PL-1 II Features
- Applicable on MIL-STD-1913 and Glock sized rails
- Uses a single CR123A battery
- Delivers an output of 450 lumens and a beam distance of 106 meters
- Switch on/off silently. Push forward directly or hit the side of the switch to activate
- Heavy duty stainless steel lever making it easy and fast to attach and release
- Hardened glass coated with an anti-reflective coating on both sides allowing for 99% light transmission rate for maximum clarity
- IPX6 Waterproof
- (1) Weapon Light
- (1) CR123A Battery
- (1) 1913 Rail Mount (for 1913 Rail)
- (1) T6/T8 Socket Head Wrench
- Instruction Manual.
Valkyrie PL-1 II Specifications
- Frame Material: Polymer
- Light Material: Aluminum
- Overal Length: 3.07 inches
- Head Diameter: 1.22 inches
- Weight: 3.37 ounces
- Battery Type: CR123A
- Max Output: 450 lumens
- Beam Distance: 106 meters
- Max Run Time: (1) hour
- Water Resistance: IPX 6
- Impact Resistance: (1) meter
- MSRP: $99.95 (Available on Amazon.com)
The BlueSheepDog Crew have not had the opportunity to test the Valkyrie PL-1 II or any other Olight products. We have heard and read some positive reviews on their products, but only offer this as a weapon light with potential.
The 450 lumens is starting to reach our maximum limit for ordinary light work (which is 500 lumens), due to the potential of blinding flash back. This higher output also drains the single battery quicker than say the (2) CR123A batteries offering a 300 lumen output for 2.5 hours on the very popular original Streamlight TLR-1.
The size of the Valkyrie appears it would be capable of being compatible with light-mounted holsters designed for theStreamlight TLR-1. The Valkyrie is slightly smaller in length and width than the TLR-1 at 3.39 inches long and 1.44 inches wide. Proper fitting may or may not be compatible and readers are cautioned to experiment or obtain Olight’s recommendations before purchase.
(Update: You can read my Olight PL-1 II Valkyrie review at GunsHolstersAndGear.com.)
Latest posts by Aaron (see all)
- Patrol Car Emergency Lights Can be a Seizure: U.S. v. Gaines (10th Cir., 2019) - April 14, 2019
- Lawrence, Kansas Police Shooting: Taser Lessons Learned - April 3, 2019
- Winchester Releases RANGER ONE LE Ammo! - March 13, 2019
- CRKT Foresight Review - February 11, 2019
- Police FNS-40 Long Slide Pistols Reportedly Accidentally Discharging! - February 9, 2019