Magpul has recently announced the release of (2) new buttstocks. The MOE SL-S AR-15 stock is an adjustable AR-15 stock with flared cheek welds, QD and traditional sling attachments, and dual storage compartments. The MOE SL-S AR-15 stock is another advancement to the MOE line of highly effective and popular AR-15 adjustable stocks, and should be just as popular as its predecessors.
Magpul has been on overdrive since last year’s SHOT Show, producing new products at fever pace. The new SL-S AR-15 stock is very interesting to me for several reasons that I will outline below.
Magpul SL-S AR-15 Stock
The original Magpul SL stocks were designed with a smaller profile than the original MOE stocks with their triangular configuration. The front angle bar of the original MOE stock was removed, and the overall design took on a more L-shape rather than triangle. The single adjustment lever was changed to dual levers on either side of the SL stock, instead of below the top bar like the original MOE stock.
The MOE SL-S enhances the original MOE SL stock by adding O-ring sealed, 10m waterproof storage (S) compartments on both sides of the stock. The storage compartments also provide a flared cheek weld that I have found to be a superior design for making accurate shots, whether in rapid fire or more precision shots to distance. The flared cheek welds do not take away from the overall sleek profile of the stock, but provide a more upright head position for shooting.
The MOE SL-S is designed with a rolled toe and angled rubber butt-pad optimized for use with body armor. There are ambidextrous QD sling swivel sockets, and dual traditional sling slots. The traditional slots are horizontal just below the cheek weld, and angled one on the toe.
A unique leaf-spring tension system provides a solid fit on Mil-Spec receiver extensions, with slightly less friction than the original MOE SL stock. The MOE SL-S stock, like other Magpul products, is made in U.S.A.
Magpul MOE SL-S Features
- Mounts on Mil-Spec sized carbine receiver extension tube
- (2) water-resistant battery storage tubes
- Sloping cheek weld combines a slim profile with user comfort
- Dual-side release latch provides anti-snag ambidextrous access.
- Premium chrome-silicon lock spring provides positive locking and long service life
- Internal anti-rattle leaf spring minimizes wobble on receiver extension tube
- Rubber butt-pad for anti-slip surface and increased impact protection
- Rollover on toe allows easier shoulder transitions and better body armor fit
- Compatible with Magpul ASAP®, ASAP® QD, and other receiver-mount sling attachments
- Multiple sling mounts
- Rear – Integral push-button QD swivel sling mount accommodates up to 1.5″ swivels (ambidextrous)
- Rear/Bottom – 1.25″ sling loops
Magpul MOE SL-S Specifications
- Configuration: Mil-Spec ONLY
- Colors: Black ONLY currently (FDE, OD, Gray coming)
- Weight: 9.6 ounces
- Weight, w/Receiver Extension: 13.6 oz.
- Maximum Length: 7.2 inches
- LOP Adjustment Range: 3.3 inches
- LOP, M4 Collapsed: 10.8 inches
- LOP, M4 Extended: 14.1 inches.
- MSRP: $79.95.
The BlueSheepDog Crew are big Magpul fans and this new stock appears to be another winner. Combining the slimmer profile of the original MOE SL stock, with extra storage and enhanced cheek welds, the MOE SL-S stock has great features at an affordable price.
On my current SWAT AR-15, with standard issue 6-point stock, I added the Mission First EvolV Battle Stock Attachment that provides storage and enhanced cheek weld. However, the EvolV is wider than the MOE SL-S stock, and the SL-S stock has better adjustment levers and profile. Even still I have found I am a much better shooter with the enhanced cheek weld, and the SL-S would be an excellent choice to take advantage of this feature.
Overall I really like this new SL-S stock by Magpul. I’m sure as time progresses the traditional optional colors will be added (FDE, Stealth Gray, OD Green).
Latest posts by Aaron (see all)
- Patrol Car Emergency Lights Can be a Seizure: U.S. v. Gaines (10th Cir., 2019) - April 14, 2019
- Lawrence, Kansas Police Shooting: Taser Lessons Learned - April 3, 2019
- Winchester Releases RANGER ONE LE Ammo! - March 13, 2019
- CRKT Foresight Review - February 11, 2019
- Police FNS-40 Long Slide Pistols Reportedly Accidentally Discharging! - February 9, 2019