Magpul continues to produce new and enhanced products in fever pitch, and the introduction of the Generation 3 Precision Rifle/Sniper (PRS) stock is just one of those additions. The PRS Gen 3 maintains the integrity of previous PRS models while looking to enhance some of the finer features to create and even more enjoyable and functional shooting experience.
One of the snipers on my SWAT team had an earlier version of the PRS on an AR-10. His experiences with the PRS were very positive, as the stock was designed to personalize the positioning of the shooter to the rifle, and could be accomplished while on target. Considering the popularity of Magul products, including the PRS line, I am confident that the new PRS Gen 3 will be another winner for one of the strongest rifle accessory companies in the world.
Magpul PRS Gen 3
The Magpul PRS Gen 3 is a precision stock designed for the AR-15/M-16 and AR-10/SR-25 rifle platforms. The PRS Gen 3 features a tool-less length of pull and cheek piece height adjustment, allowing the shooter to make fine or large adjustments in the field and even while on target. This is incredibly important for police or military snipers, who may require fine adjustments prior to engaging hostile human targets. Even pre-setting positions is no guarantee, if the sniper had to cross rough terrain to reach their final shooting position.
The PRS Gen 3 makes solid adjustments for length of pull (LOP) and cheek piece height using durable and high quality, machined aluminum detent knobs. Every aluminum component on the PRS Gen 3 has been finished with MIL-A-8625F, Type III, Class 2 hard anodizing. The steel adjustment tubes for the adjustment knobs have been Melonite treated to endure exposure to the elements.
The PRS Gen 3 (Precision Rifle/Sniper) stock provides the shooter a stable interface for shoulder and cheek rests, and is designed for semi-automatic rifles. The Magpul PRS Gen 3 offers a nearly universal fit, but is optimized for rifle-length receiver extensions. The PRS Gen 3 will also mount to many Mil-Spec carbine and A5-length tubes depending on manufacturer configurations.
The PRS Gen 3 includes a cant/height-adjustable rubber butt-pad, and rotation-limiting QD sling swivel cups for sling attachment. In addition, the PRS Gen 3 has integrated M-LOK® slots on the bottom for rear monopod mounting.
Leaning on the highly popular and functional Quick-Detach sling systems, the PRS Gen 3 comes with ambidextrous aluminum QD swivel mounts. There is a mount on the front of the stock, for a more single-point sling set up, and another QD swivel mount on the rear of the stock for a more 2-point traditional mount. The rear QD mount is interchangeable from left to right side of the stock. There is also a 1.25 inch traditional sling loop incorporated with the rear QD swivel mount, providing even more options for carry. Like other Magpul products, the PRS Gen 3 is made in U.S.A.
Magpul PRS Gen 3 Features
- Mounts to rifle-length receiver extension tube without A2 spacer
- Accommodates Mil-Spec M4 Carbine and many A5-length tubes with standard Castle Nuts and End Plates
- Enhanced strength butt-plate withstands severe impact and recoil up to .50 BMG
- Rubber butt-pad provides positive shoulder purchase preventing slippage
- Rubber butt-pad is adjustable for both cant and height
- Machined aluminum LOP and Cheek Piece adjustment knobs with positive locking click detents
- Steel adjustment shafts finished with Melonite® for wear and corrosion resistance
- All aluminum components finished with MIL-A-8625F, Type III, Class 2 hard anodizing
- Bottom M-LOK slots provide additional sling mounting possibilities or for attaching 1913 Picatinny rails for use with a monopod
- Sling Mounts
- Front/Rear – rotation-limited QD sling swivel mounts
- Rear – 1.25″ aluminum sling loop (left-right reversible)
Magpul Gen 3 PRS Specifications
- Weight: 27.8 ounces
- Weight (with rifle receiver extension): 31.2 ounces
- Weight (with carbine receiver extension): 31.7 ounces
- Length: 11.5 – 12.9 inches
- LOP: 14.3 – 15.7 inches
- LOP Adjustment Range: 1.4 inches
- Cheek Height Adjustment Range: 0.8 inches
- Available Colors: Black, OD Green, Flat Dark Earth, Stealth Gray
- MSRP: $254.95.
The Magpul PRS Gen 3 rifle stock is a well thought design for serious shooters. Having a fully adjustable stock for LOP, height, and cheek weld is an almost must for today’s police snipers. For a sniper to be at their best, they need to become one with their rifle. The PRS Gen 3 provides plenty of adjustments to individualize the feel and fit of the rifle to the particular sniper fielding the rifle.
From previous experiences with earlier PRS models I can attest they are very well-built, durable, weather-resistant, and perhaps most importantly – comfortable to shoot. Without hesitation I would recommend the PRS stock for use on a police sniper rifle.
Latest posts by Aaron (see all)
- RMA Armament Adds New Level III+ Armor Plates - November 11, 2018
- SIG Sauer Academy Adds Pistol Mounted Optics Instructor Course - November 9, 2018
- Strike Industries Viper Enhanced AR-15 Pistol Grip - November 7, 2018
- BolaWrap™ 100 Police “Lasso Gun” Less Lethal Device - November 2, 2018
- Otis Tactical Cleaning Kit - October 17, 2018