SIG SAUER’s new MCX Virtus rifle is the latest firearm from one of the most popular firearms makers in the world. The Virtus is an upgraded model of the original MCX Patrol rifle, which is based upon the highly popular AR-15. The MCX Virtus will be offered in 5.56mm and .300BLK chambers, and is the result of directed feedback received by special operations forces from around the world. With real-world applications and suggestions incorporated into the new MCX Virtus, SIG SAUER is touting their new rifle as “the ultimate modular platform.”
Recently, SIG SAUER was awarded the highly coveted U.S. Army’s MHS handgun contract with their modular P320 entry. The Army contract is worth nearly $580 million over the 10-year contract period, and signals a huge boost to SIG SAUER who has been making an enormous push into the American market in recent years. As European countries become more restrictive on firearms, ammunition, and accessories, some of the biggest names in European firearms manufacturing have established American manufacturing plants. SIG SAUER is one of those companies, and now every SIG SAUER firearm sold in America is made in America as well.
SIG SAUER MCX Virtus
SIG SAUER has named the new MCX rifle the “Virtus,” which is Latin for a “virtue, courage, bravery, and excellence.” It seems a proper name, considering the highly skilled special operations soldiers who provided the feedback and suggestions leading to the MCX Virtus. The added features of the MCX Virtus are specifically tailored to professional shooters, who will expend thousands of rounds in the most harsh conditions possible. These upgraded features include:
- Increased accuracy (which was already good on the MCX Patrol)
- Additional modularity for personalizing the rifle platform
- Service life increased to over 20,000 rounds.
The modularity of the MCX Virtus is revealed in the over 500 different ways the rifle can be set up to accomplish specific mission needs. This includes barrel options, stock options, hand guard options, and grip options. SIG SAUER is offering (8) new free-floating M-Lok hand guard options for the Virtus, in both standard and suppressor ready options.
SIG SAUER uses the proven SIG SAUER short-stroke piston system to operate the MCX Virtus. This system eliminates the need for the M4/AR-15 style buffer tubes, and produces a compact, light-recoiling rifle that shoots cleaner and cooler than gas-impingement rifles. The stock included with the MCX Virtus is a 5-position collapsible, and folding stock. Adjustments are made with easily accessible push-button controls.
The Virtus hand guard has ambidextrous slots allowing the shooter to make quick gas adjustments when adding suppressors. There are ambidextrous QD sling attachment points on the stock, rear of the lower receiver, and hand guard, providing the shooter a wide variety of carry options. The upper receiver and hand guard form a full-length Picatinny rail on top.
MCX Virtus barrels are cold hammer-forged, and available in 9.0″, 11.5″, and 16.0″ lengths to meet nearly every mission required. SIG SAUER has also engineered the MCX Virtus barrels to be interchangeable at the operator level, removing highly complicated mounting designs requiring qualified armorers to service. The Virtus barrels have a heavier contour, which has been shown to increase accuracy and longevity. The MCX Virtus comes in Patrol Rifle, Pistol, and SBR options.
In addition, SIG SAUER includes the new SIG Matchlite Duo 2-stage trigger to provide a very smooth, crisp trigger pull, break and reset. The Matchlite Duo should assist shooters having a wide range of experience levels with more consistent trigger pulls and resets. This translates to less jerking, and faster returns to battery for rapid follow-up shots. Finally, SIG SAUER adds a new tapered bolt lug design to promote smoother cycling while extending bolt life as well.
SIG SAUER MCX Virtus Features
- SIG SAUER short-stroke gas piston system
- Telescoping 5-position folding stock option
- User-interchangeable barrels
- Multiple barrel length options
- 3-prong flash suppressor
- M-Lok hand guards
- Ambidextrous manual safety, magazine release, and charging handle
- SIG Matchlite Duo 2-stage trigger
- Tapered bolt lug for smoother cycling and longevity
- Comes with (1) Lancer smoke gray magazine
- Available in Stealth Grey and FDE.
SIG SAUER MCX Virtus Specifications
- Upper Receiver Material: Aluminum
- Lower Receiver Material: Aluminum
- Barrel: Heavy contour, cold hammer-forged
- Overall Length: 35.5 inches
- Folded Length: 26.5 inches
- Height: 8.0 inches
- Width: 2.8 inches
- Weight: 7.9 pounds (unloaded)
- Trigger Weight: 4.5 to 6.0 pounds
- Twist Rate: 1:7 (5.56mm); 1:6 (.300 BLK)
- Pistol Grip: Polymer SIG
- Hand Guard: Alloy M-Lok
- MSRP: $2,233.00.
SIG SAUER has produced some of the finest handguns and rifles in the world. Their reputation for excellence is among the best of all firearm manufacturers. I’ve had the chance to fire an MCX Patrol rifle and found it to be an excellent rifle. Designed well, excellent manufacturing, accurate, and a real joy to shoot.
This new MCX Virtus has enough upgrades to really make the rifle a contender for a variety of roles, both in the professional and civilian markets. The price tag over $2000 is one of the biggest hurdles to purchasing, especially by individuals. I’m all about paying more for superior quality, but SIG has always been a bit too proud of their products for my tastes. Still the MCX Virtus is a very impressive rifle.
Latest posts by Aaron (see all)
- Patrol Car Emergency Lights Can be a Seizure: U.S. v. Gaines (10th Cir., 2019) - April 14, 2019
- Lawrence, Kansas Police Shooting: Taser Lessons Learned - April 3, 2019
- Winchester Releases RANGER ONE LE Ammo! - March 13, 2019
- CRKT Foresight Review - February 11, 2019
- Police FNS-40 Long Slide Pistols Reportedly Accidentally Discharging! - February 9, 2019