SOG has become a popular brand for duty and off-duty knives, with perhaps their most popular knife being the SEAL Pup and SEAL Pup Elite knives. For 2017 SOG has issued over a half-dozen new knives, but the one that has caught our eye is the new Terminus. The new SOG Terminus combines excellent craftsmanship with quality materials for a price most can afford.
Though I’ve heard some knife aficionados claim that folding knives are “broken” knives, a good street cop should have a quality folding knife to accomplish many street-level tasks. The new Terminus provides a great quality knife and at a price that won’t break the bank!
The New SOG Terminus
The SOG Terminus is not flashy, and doesn’t bring revolutionary elements to the knife world. However, what it does do is present a relatively simple folding knife, made with a very good stainless steel blade and G10 handles. The quality materials, and the recognized craftsmanship of SOG knife makers, elevate the Terminus beyond the ordinary and into a serious duty knife selection.
SOG elected to give the Terminus a simple single, straight blade edge. Though I have found some good use for serrated blades (especially the CRKT M21-14SFG with Veff Serrations), but many knife masters will tell you a good sharp straight edge is all you need. I like a straight edge knife for its simplicity and also the ease of sharpening and maintaining that edge.
The CTS BD1 stainless steel has been described as a very good steel that is easily sharpened to a nice edge, and should be up to most duty-related tasks. The CTS BD1 has been compared in quality to 154CM which has been used quite a bit in very good knives, and even better than Aus 8, VG-10, and ATS34. However, some have pointed out that CTS BD1 may not be as durable as nicer steels, such as S30.
The G10 handles on the Terminus are an excellent choice for duty or off-duty use. G10 has been shown to be aggressive enough to withstand wet conditions, while the cut of the Terminus handles should not be so aggressive to stress the hands or tear up clothing unreasonably. Being chemically resistant is another great feature of G10, and an outstanding consideration for duty knives.
SOG includes an interchangeable pocket-clip with the Terminus for ease of carry selection. In addition, the Terminus blade has a nice ribbed spot on the spine near the handle to provide excellent traction for cutting and more serious work. The Terminus comes in all black or tan and satin finishes.
SOG Terminus Features
- Quality CTS BD1 stainless steel blade
- G10 handles for durability, grip control, and chemical/moisture resistance
- Slip joint safety ensures blade lock, with a simple spring pressure disengage
- Interchangeable pocket clip
- Hard-cased black coating or stainless steel blade appearance
- Comes with presentation box
- Available in black or satin
- SOG offers a lifetime warranty.
SOG Terminus Specifications
- Blade Material: CTS BD1 stainless steel
- Blade Type: Straight edge, clip point
- Blade Hardness: 58-60 RC
- Handle Material: G10
- Overall Length: 7.0 inches
- Closed Length: 4.0 inches
- Blade Length: 3.0 inches
- Blade Width: 0.11 inches
- Width: Not listed
- Weight: 2.9 ounces
- Safety: Slip joint
- MSRP: $80.00.
SOG has proven to be a quality knife manufacturer and the Terminus is another example of their fine craftsmanship. The Terminus is not flashy, or feature-packed, but what it offers is a quality blade and excellent G10 handles in an overall package that should survive the streets. Though a black knife tends to blend better with traditional dark uniforms, I kind of like this Tan and Satin Terminus.
Latest posts by Aaron (see all)
- RMA Armament Adds New Level III+ Armor Plates - November 11, 2018
- SIG Sauer Academy Adds Pistol Mounted Optics Instructor Course - November 9, 2018
- Strike Industries Viper Enhanced AR-15 Pistol Grip - November 7, 2018
- BolaWrap™ 100 Police “Lasso Gun” Less Lethal Device - November 2, 2018
- Otis Tactical Cleaning Kit - October 17, 2018