Safariland introduced IMPAC special threat trauma plates for the biceps. The plates work in conjunction with the upper arm armor that attaches to Protech tactical body armor. The 7″x8″ plates are tested by Safariland to stop the following rounds:
- Speer .357 Sig, 125 gr. FMJ @ 1470 ± 30 fps
- Speer .357 Sig, 125 gr. GDHP @ 1375 ± 30 fps
- Speer .44 Mag, 240 gr. SJHP @ 1430 ± 30 fps
- Winchester 9 mm +P+, 127 gr. SXT @ 1250 ± 30 fps
- Norinco 7.62 x 25 mm Tokarev, 85 gr. FMJ @ 1530 ± 30 fps
- FN 5.7 x 28 mm, 28 gr. SS195LF (Belgium) @ 2086 ± 30 fps
- FN 5.7 x 28 mm, 40 gr. SS197 (Blue Tip) @ 1721 ± 30 fps
The IMPAC plates are a line lightweight trauma plates that are rated to stop a range of special threats. Some plates are designed to stop high velocity handgun rounds (such as this one), while others are rated to stop rifle rounds or stabbing threats. The IMPAC trauma plates work in conjunction with soft body armor; they are not stand alone plates.
The plates are reasonably priced and well worth the investment for most uniformed officers.