I have been wearing a Magnum RD short-sleeved shirt from the Magnum Boot Company that I think will interest you. Magnum long ago branched out from boots and now makes an entire line of footwear, apparel, and accessories.
The shirt I am testing is a Desert Sage colored short-sleeved shirt fit for covert carry or regular off-duty wear. The RD stands for “rapid deployment.” It is styled like any other high end sporting shirt you might find at a retailer, but it some great bonus features.
The 5.4 oz ripstop cotton material is a nice compromise, having both a light weight and durability. I think this shirt can go from either hot to chilly temperatures without complaint from the wearer.
It is cut generously, which is terrific for concealed firearms carry. It does not have a breakaway side, like some firearms-intended shirts, but that is a function I am not fond of anyway.
I think your covert draw stroke should be universal regardless of whether you are wearing a jacket, vest, sweatshirt, or regular shirt. Consistent practice here is important. The cut of the Magnum RD shirt is just fine.
The back, chest, and underarms of the shirt have mesh venting to let some of the steam out. The shirt closes smartly with stylish metal snaps that have an expensive look. The entire appearance of the garment says “safari” or “fishing” to me.
There are accessory pockets at the chest and waist on both front sides of the shirt. The left chest pocket is about 6 ½” wide X 6 ½” high and is zippered vertically. The right is around 7 ½” wide by 6 ½” high and zippers horizontally.
Two flapped slip pockets ride unobtrusively on each side of the upper front waist and each are about 5” deep. Finally, there is a hidden pocket at the nape of the neck inside the collar that can hide currency or a cuff key.
Features of the Magnum RD shirt include:
- 5.4 oz. 100% cotton ripstop
- ColorLock fabric dying process ensures garment color match
- EEMS (Escape & Evasion Money Stash) pocket inside rear collar
- Combat sharp collar design
- RSCS (Rapid Shed Closure System) non-shine all buttons
- MVBCS (Multi-Vented Body Cooling System) works with and without body armor (Patent Pending)
- Vertical access Nelson pocket on left chest with low profile zipper
- Drop stash pocket on right chest with low profile zipper
- ACEP (Ab Concealed Equipment Pocket) on 2 sides
- Notched side access points
- 6-Month No Fade Guarantee
- Magnum style #90098
- S, M, L, XL, 2XL, 3XL
- Available in Black, Mocha, Desert Sage, and Navy
I like the styling, material, and construction used in Magnum’s RD line of shirts. They can be found online for between $45 and $55.
Randall is a twenty-four year sworn police officer in a mid-sized Florida police department. He has been an FTO, K9 Handler, Detective, and SWAT Team Leader. He is currently the K9 Unit Sergeant and department SWAT Coordinator.
Latest posts by Randall (see all)
- SWAT Attitude - April 30, 2012
- Viridian TacLoc Holster - March 22, 2012
- Appeals Court Rejects Qualified Immunity in K9 Dog Bite Case - March 12, 2012
- Spyderco OpFocus Catalog for Those Duty-Bound - February 29, 2012
- New Bust a Cap Strike Bezel for Surefire - February 28, 2012