Here is a collection of gear reviews we have done on BlueSheepdog.com. We know that you rely heavily on the gear you carry into the field, and that crappy equipment can make your job even harder. We aim to give you honest gear reviews so you don’t waste money on products that will quickly fail or not live up to the marketing hype.
We’ve got a lot more in the pipeline, so expect to see even more gear reviews in the near future. If you have a specific request, feel free to let us know. We can’t review everything, but we will make an effort to get your requests tested and written up.
- 5.11 VTAC LBE Vest Review – Randall reviews a load-bearing vest from 5.11 that he set up as a “bail out” rig. If you have any interest in a vest rig, make sure you check out his report.
- 68W: Combat Medic Skills Book Review – Written and video review of the best book I have come across on trauma care under fire. Perfect for any law enforcement officer who wants to learn how to keep himself or his partner alive after being injured in combat.
- Ares Cut Resistant Gloves from PPSS Group – Protecting your hands from edged weapons is great, but do these Ares gloves hold up? Watch the video and I think you will be impressed. I know I was blown away by how good these things were.
- Armed Response Video Review: Lasers for Handguns – Training is being cut back at many departments and video-based training courses can help fill the gap. This is a really good video on using lasers for sighting a handgun.
- Benchmade H-K Soldat Video Knife Review – Resident knife expert Randall takes a hard look at this Benchmade knife. Does it hold up under his close scrutiny?
- Bust A Cap Window Breaker – Need to get through glass? Any cop that has smacked a window with a flashlight knows it is not as easy as it looks. Check out the Bust a Cap review for a low cost, but highly effective, tool to do just that.
- Criminal Interdiction Book Review – Richard gives us his take on this new book from a Florida Highway Patrol trooper. How does it compare to the seminal work on interdiction, Tactics for Criminal Patrol? Read and find out.
- CrossBreed SuperTuck Holster Review – In this review, Aaron takes a look at the IWB rig from CrossBreed that launched the hybrid holster design. It proved to be a solid performer, though I was surprised by one thing.
- Crown Victoria Police Interceptor Remembrance – The last of the Crown Vics have been built and delivered to departments. A look back at the car and where we go from here.
- ETS Glock 42 and Glock 43 Magazines – We take a look at the cheapest Glock 43 magazines on the market, and it turns out they are pretty good. At less than $15 each, they are impressive.
- Gerber Ding Bong Breaching Tool – Gerber is now selling a compact, 3-in-1 breaching tool that is suitable for both uniform patrol and SWAT teams. It combines a prytool, battering ram and breaching hammer into one unit. Aaron, one of our resident SWAT guys, takes a look at the Ding Dong and lets you know what he things.
- In Pursuit of the Ultimate Retention Holster by Captain Mike Boyle – Captain Boyle looks at the history of retention holsters and what is currently available for police officers.
- ITW FastMag Review – Aaron gives us a great review of the FastMag system from ITW. Lots of details pictures, plus a video to show them in action.
- J Dewey Pistol Cleaning Kit Review – The J Dewey Company makes some incredible cleaning kits, and we take a look at one of them.
- Kubotan: A Forgotten Piece of Police Equipment – Some newer officers don’t even know what a kubotan is, while many older officers have forgotten about it. Not Randy, and he tells us why the tool is still relevant today.
- Laser Speed Devices – Round Up Comparison – A look at several new laser speed measuring devices that are coming on the market. Some are much better than others at delivering accurate speed measurements.
- Magnum Intrepid HPi Running Shoes – A review of the new running shoes from Magnum Boots. The shoes offer another choice in exercise shoes, but do they live up to the hype?
- Morphix Chameleon Review: Toxic Chemical Detector – Don’t walk into a toxic environment as a “blue canary.” The Morphix Chameleon gives cops a fighting chance when it comes to poisons and chemicals.
- Police Vehicle News Update – Some of the latest information on law enforcement vehicles from Dodge, Ford and Carbon Motors.
- Rusty’s Rags LE Pistol Care Kit Review – Detailed look at a pistol care kit from Rusty’s Rags. This was a great kit for the locker to keep your gun clean and running smooth.
- TDI Knife Review – Randy takes a hard look at the TDI knife. It is a great tool, but has a potentially deadly shortcoming.
- Uncle Mike’s Breacher Vest Review – A look at this vest as an alternative to a bailout bag. Also, make sure you check out Randall’s review on the 5.11 VTAC LBE vest at the top of this page.
Additional article sections: