Gerber has been famous for producing some very impressive knives for nearly . The company continues to make great knife options, but in recent years Gerber has been increasingly branching off into survival and specialty tools. At SHOT Show this year, Gerber was showing their “Ding-Dong” breaching tool, released mid-2014. The Gerber Ding-Dong is a multi-purpose Halligan Tool (H-Tool), combining the standard H-Tool pry bar function with a heavy-duty sledge-hammer and battering ram.
I like the fact that the Gerber Ding-Dong comes in a compact package. The traditional H-tools often come in a larger size of around 54″, based upon their roots and needs as a firefighting tool. Police officers in close proximity, like a SWAT Team stack, or in the close confines of an interior hallway, cannot utilize bulky and large breaching tools. The Gerber Ding-Dong could be a great option for situations such as those. My department has two of those all-metal H-tools, but due to their awkward size they are regulated to exterior door breaching only.
The Ding-Dong handle has pre-set stopping points for sure grip during the various roles. The forged and machined head has crisscrossed grooves for better gripping of the strike point and less slippage. The pry teeth are designed to be slimmer than traditional H-tools. Since the Ding-Dong does not have the adze pry feature, the main pry teeth are slim enough to hammer into door jams for prying open. To release the Ding-Dong from its carrier the operator simply twists the handle to release the Ding-Dong from the snap-in groove and pull hard outward, releasing the quick-detach rubberized strap.
Gerber Ding-Dong Specifications:
- Overall Length – 27.0″
- Weight – 12.25 lbs.
- Tools – Sledge Hammer; Pry bar; Battering Ram
- Tool material – Forged and machined steel
- Handle material – Molded fiberglass reinforced plastic (FRP) core, Polypropylene overmold
- Carrying options – MOLLE compatible carrying system – snap-in groove, quick-release strap
- Lifetime warranty
- MSRP – Not Listed – Must request through [email protected] with government email
- Credentials required for purchase – Law enforcement, Fire, First responder, Military.
Gerber recognized that breaching tools are often needed throughout a mission, and not simply used at the front door to then be discarded. Considering this probability, the Gerber Team also recognized that officers already weighted down by 50-80 lbs. of heavy tactical ballistic vests, weapons, and gear, become exponentially more burdened with every additional pound. To combat that problem, Gerber designed the Ding-Dong with a forged metal head and pry bar teeth, but with a molded fiberglass handle.
Here’s a Gerber video on the key features:
Latest posts by Aaron (see all)
- Otis Tactical Cleaning Kit - October 17, 2018
- Strike Industries New Improved Glock Flat Trigger - October 15, 2018
- Crosstac Tactical Ambi Sling Review - September 28, 2018
- 1791 Gunleather Carbon Fiber Premium Leather Holster - September 26, 2018
- SIG Sauer U.S. Army M17 Hits Civilian Market - September 23, 2018