SIG Sauer Academy has just announced the addition of a Covert Carry and Micro Pistol Course to their already impressive list of courses. This new SIG Sauer Academy course is specifically designed for the concealed carry shooter, and highlights the micro SIG Sauer P365 9mm pistol. In fact, course attendees will have the option to borrow a P365 during the course if they desire. This course is a great opportunity for law enforcement investigators, off-duty carry, and civilian concealed carry shooters as well.
The SIG Sauer Academy began operation in 1990 as the SIGARMS Academy. The Academy is dedicated to instructing shooters, armorers, and firearms instructors on SIG Sauer firearms, but also general firearms skills with the shooter’s chosen firearm as well. Though many have believed the Academy will only teach shooting on SIG Sauer firearms, one of the Academy mottos is, “No matter what firearm you shoot, we’ll make you a better shooter, guaranteed.” The Academy provides courses in handguns, shotguns, rifles, precision rifles, and even enhanced tactics.
SIG Sauer Academy Covert Carry and Micro Pistol Course
This newest course offered by the SIG Sauer Academy highlights the unique considerations for those who carry concealed firearms, and particularly the highly popular “micro pistols.” The SIG Sauer Academy course highlights their very own SIG Sauer P365, which has received very high praise as a compact and slim 9mm pistol. As mentioned above, shooters may bring their chosen firearm as well. The SIG Sauer Academy will loan firearms, holsters, eye pro, and ear pro at no cost to attendees.
The Covert Carry and Micro Pistol Course is just a 1-day course, but is packed full of concealed carry specific instruction. The SIG Sauer Academy requires attendees to bring both an inside-the-waistband (IWB) holster, and an outside-the-waistband (OWB) holster. Pocket holsters and ankle holsters are optional and will be covered if brought by students. Course attendees are required to bring both a button-up shirt or jacket, and a pull-over shirt or sweatshirt, and are required to have shoes that will facilitate quick movement. In addition, students are required to have at least (3) magazines (more are preferred), a sturdy 1.5″ belt or larger, a brimmed hat, sunscreen, and hydration. Shooters bringing their own eye pro must have wrap-around polycarbonate type glasses, and will need both earmuffs and ear plugs.
The selection of concealed carry gear will be discussed to maximize each shooter’s chosen firearm, and the practicalities of each person’s carry situation (work, vehicle, etc.). Firearms must be at least .380 ACP, up to .45 ACP. The SIG Sauer Academy was one of the first frangible ranges in the country, and still requires non-toxic, non-jacketed frangible ammunition, which can be purchased on site if needed. Once the course transitions to shooting, students will be instructed on presentation of the firearm from its concealed position, and defensive pistol marksmanship. Multiple shooting positions will be covered including shots within close proximity, one-handed shooting, seated positions, and use of cover.
Covert Carry and Micro Pistol Course Outline
- Safety concerns and practices while carrying concealed
- Selecting concealed carry equipment specific to micro pistols
- Presentation of the firearm from concealed carry positions
- Defensive pistol marksmanship fundamentals
- Close proximity shooting techniques for violent encounters
- One-handed operation
- Multiple shot techniques
- Utilization of cover
- Seated positions
- Pistol inspection and maintenance
- COURSE COST: $250.00.
Covert Carry and Micro Pistol Course Required Equipment
- Micro compact semi-auto pistol in .380, 9mm, .357 SIG, .40 S&W, or .45 ACP
- Minimum (3) magazines, more are recommended if possible
- Belt mounted, outside the waistband (OWB) holster
- Belt mounted, inside the waistband (IWB) holster
- Pocket holster (optional)
- Ankle holster (optional)
- Magazine/ammunition pouch
- Sturdy belt at least 1.5″ wide
- Concealment jacket, vest, or button up shirt (open front)
- Concealment sweatshirt or T-shirt (closed front)
- Footwear suitable for rapid movement and turning
- Casual, comfortable civilian clothing suitable for training in any weather
- Hydration system
- Sunscreen and bug spray
- Hat with a brim
- Wrap-around eyewear, polycarbonate lenses or non-shattering prescription glasses
- Earmuffs and earplugs.
The SIG Sauer Academy continues to develop a variety of courses with state-of-the-art ranges and infrastructure. This includes a publicly accessible 1000-yard rifle range, 360-degree range (shoot house), and even a maritime training area. The SIG Sauer Academy started a Pro Shop in 2012 displaying the entire line of SIG Sauer firearms and has even expanded to include accessories and industry-leading merchandise vendors. The SIG Sauer Academy Pro Shop has also obtained a FFL, allowing staff to have full capability to sell, buy, or otherwise transact with firearms. This has led to a program of selling previously Academy-loaned firearms at discounted prices.
The SIG Sauer Academy is an incredible opportunity for law enforcement, or civilian firearm owners to train with professional staff and hone their firearms skills. The training environment is on par with the most elite firearms training centers in the world, and offers real-life shooting opportunities (shoot house) that are extremely rare. This new course in covert carry and micro pistol shooting is an excellent chance for law enforcement officers to build upon on-duty training for detective work or off-duty carry. If you have a chance to go to the SIG Sauer Academy you will not be disappointed.
Latest posts by Aaron (see all)
- RMA Armament Adds New Level III+ Armor Plates - November 11, 2018
- SIG Sauer Academy Adds Pistol Mounted Optics Instructor Course - November 9, 2018
- Strike Industries Viper Enhanced AR-15 Pistol Grip - November 7, 2018
- BolaWrap™ 100 Police “Lasso Gun” Less Lethal Device - November 2, 2018
- Otis Tactical Cleaning Kit - October 17, 2018